The Waste to Craft Creativity Competition 2016, jointly organised by the Institute of Technical Education (ITE), the National Environment Agency (NEA) and the South East Community Development Council (SECDC), focuses on engaging our youths in understanding the global environmental challenges and how they can encourage environmental sustainability through creative and innovative use of waste materials to create an interesting piece of craftwork for various purposes.
Theme: Creative Recycling Bin
|1||Category A||Primary Schools|
|2||Category B||Secondary Schools|
More than $10,000 worth of Cash Prizes to be won!
|Prize||Primary Category||Secondary/ITE/Open Category|
Medals and certificates of participation will also be presented to the winners.
All prizes are proudly presented by Ascendas-Singbridge Gives Foundation.
Rules and Guidelines
- Each team must comprise at least TWO members and not more than FOUR members.
- Each school may enter more than one team in the competition.
- For Open Category: Individual submission is allowed, it is not necessary to form a team.
- Each team (for school categories) or individual (for Open Category) may only submit one entry.
Registration & Submission of Entries:
- Participants are required to register for the competition before submitting their entry. Registration may be done online at https://eco.ite.edu.sg/
- Part 1: Online registration is open from 23 May – 31 Jul 2016.
- Part 2: Prototype submission from 1 – 12 Aug 2016. All prototypes must be submitted to ITE College East (Customer Visitor Centre), 10 Simei Avenue, Singapore 486047. Prototype must be submitted together with an A4 print out of the write-up describing your design.
- Design prototype submissions from teams or individuals who are not registered in Part 1 will not qualify for the competition.
- Late submissions will not be entertained.
- Only designs with prototypes created will qualify for this competition.
- Each design prototype must be within the dimensions of 50 cm (L) x 50 cm (W) x 50 cm (H). Prototypes that are not within stated dimensions will be disqualified.
- Design Prototype, a mock-up of the actual bin in miniature, must comprise primarily (70%) of recycled materials. The composition of new materials used should not be more than 30%.
- A 1-page (A4 size) design brief should be included in your submission.
- Design Brief should describe the types of materials used with consideration for the environment, theprocess and estimated cost to make the bin in its actual size. It should also explain how the design iscost-effective, practical and attractive enough to encourage people to use them in a practical way and the dimensions of the actual bin.
- A material list clearly indicating the composition of the design prototype should also be included in the design brief.
- Five participating teams from each of the Secondary, ITE and Open category will be shortlisted for a design presentation during the week 5 – 9 September 2016. Teams for Primary School category do not need to carry out group presentations.
- Participants must be able to attend the scheduled design presentation in order to qualify for a prize in this competition.
- Each shortlisted team will be given a total of 15 minutes (10 minutes for presentation + 5 minutes for Q&A).
- Shortlisted teams should focus on convincing the panel of judges that their design is cost-effective, practical and attractive enough to encourage people to use them in a practical way.
- Winners will be notified via email by 14 October 2016.
- Winners will be invited to attend an award ceremony at the South East Clean and Green Singapore Carnival on 12 or 13 Nov 2016.
- Winning prototypes might be selected for showcase at the South East Clean and Green Singapore Carnival (CGS) on 12 and 13 Nov 2016
- Winning prototypes might be selected for showcase at Ascendas properties after South East CGS for a period of not more than three months. Thereafter, winners will be informed to collect their prototypes.
- Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entertained.
|1||Materials usedAt least 70% of the design must be made from recycled materials. Clear presentation of environmental consideration in selection of the materials for the design. Includes a comprehensive material list.||30%|
|2||Design PrototypeDesign is relevant to the theme, practical and cost-effective. Prototype made must clearly present all the design attributes, of good finishing and aesthetically pleasing. Creativity of the design will be a key consideration.
|3||Design BriefDesign Brief is clear and concise. It should describe the types of materials used with consideration for the environment, the process and estimated cost to make the bin. It should also explain how the Recycling Bin designed is cost-effective, usable, how and where does the team/individual intend to carry out the implementation of the recycling bin(s) to promote recycling and attract/encourage people to use them in a practical way.||10%|
|4||PresentationClear articulation of the design. Demonstration of teamwork. Able to address questions raised by judging panel.
Terms & Conditions:
- The cost or expense incurred for the competition is to be borne entirely by participants.
- The prizes and awards are not exchangeable or transferable.
- The Organisers reserve the right to change the prizes.
- All prototypes submitted are to be collected by participants within one month from the receipt of the collection notification by the Organiser, else it shall become the property of the Organisers.
- The Organisers recognise that the copyright of all entries shall remain with participants. However, the Organisers reserve the right to use the winning entries as well as other suitable ones, with full acknowledgement to the copyright owners, in the promotion of good projects, display panels, magazines, and publicity for future competitions etc.
- Without prejudice to any other provisions of the Terms and Conditions, the Organisers reserve the right to disqualify participants for failure to abide by any of the Terms and Conditions set out herein, or for submitting false, inaccurate or incomplete information, or for any other reasonable cause, without first informing participant and without being liable in any way whatsoever for any loss, expense, cost or damages suffered or incurred in connection with the Competition or resulting from such disqualification.
- Results of the competition will be announced on the ITE ECO Portal – https://eco.ite.edu.sg after the South East Clean and Green Singapore Carnival.
- Submission of entries signifies the acceptance of the rules and regulations of this Competition.
For enquiries, please email to email@example.com